Definition: Internal environment is a component of the business environment, which is composed of various elements present inside the organization, that can affect or can be affected with, the choices, activities and decisions of the organization.
It encompasses the climate, culture, machines/equipment, work and work processes, members, management and management practices.
In other words, the internal environment refers to the culture, members, events and factors within an organization that has the ability to influence the decisions of the organization, especially the behaviour of its human resource. Here, members refer to all those people which are directly or indirectly related to the organization such as owner, shareholders, managing director, board of directors, employees, and so forth.
Factors Influencing Internal Environment
The factors which are under the control of the organization, but can influence business strategy and other decisions are termed as internal factors. It includes:
- Value System: Value system consists of all those components that are a part of regulatory frameworks, such as culture, climate, work processes, management practices and norms of the organization. The employees should perform the activities within the purview of this framework.
- Vision, Mission and Objectives: The company’s vision describes its future position, mission defines the company’s business and the reason for its existence and objectives implies the ultimate aim of the company and the ways to reach those ends.
- Organizational Structure: The structure of the organization determines the way in which activities are directed in the organization so as to reach the ultimate goal. These activities include the delegation of the task, coordination, the composition of the board of directors, level of professionalization, and supervision. It can be matrix structure, functional structure, divisional structure, bureaucratic structure, etc.
- Corporate Culture: Corporate culture or otherwise called an organizational culture refers to the values, beliefs and behaviour of the organization that ascertains the way in which employees and management communicate and manage the external affairs.
- Human Resources: Human resource is the most valuable asset of the organization, as the success or failure of an organization highly depends on the human resources of the organization.
- Physical Resources and Technological Capabilities: Physical resources refers to the tangible assets of the organization that play an important role in ascertaining the competitive capability of the company. Further, technological capabilities imply the technical know-how of the organization.
Internal environmental factors have a direct impact on a firm. Further, these factors can be altered as per the needs and situation, so as to adapt accordingly in the dynamic business environment.
Samuel Twumasi Ofei says
Who manages the internal environment of an organization?
Vimbai chitake says
Thank you ! this is very useful to us
AMAZING WEBSITE FOR BEGINERS
Shivani Sanjana says
very useful informations
pinias muchefa says
Really it is very useful for us. The information that you have shared is really useful for everyone.
Thank you so much , really helped me to start an outline for my paper.
thx for the information, its has given me a hint on my assignment
Adan Ibrahim says
very informative and well structured.
RAGHAVAN HARATHY says
Gcobisa Qinga says
Thank you very didactic.
Irene Mbele says
Thank you very much, very helpful and well structured
Hellen Nxumalo says
This elaboration is excellent, I comprehend very well and and has a clear light on what is going on within and outside the business, whether big or small.
Ben Angoa says
This is a perfect start for me. All the information, I require that can support me to understand the course is well placed and simple to understand.
who’s the author of this article?
Surbhi S says
The author of this article is Surbhi S.
Shuaib Morawaji says
Thanks. I used the information here for my assignment in Strategic Management class.
In what year was this article published? I do need this for my study work.
Surbhi S says
The article was published in the year Feb 2019
virgildo sabalo says
Very informative. Thanks.