Definition: Planning is the fundamental management function, which involves deciding beforehand, what is to be done, when is it to be done, how it is to be done and who is going to do it. It is an intellectual process which lays down an organisation’s objectives and develops various courses of action, by which the organisation can achieve those objectives. It chalks out exactly, how to attain a specific goal.
Planning is nothing but thinking before the action takes place. It helps us to take a peep into the future and decide in advance the way to deal with the situations, which we are going to encounter in future. It involves logical thinking and rational decision making.
Characteristics of Planning
- Managerial function: Planning is a first and foremost managerial function provides the base for other functions of the management, i.e. organising, staffing, directing and controlling, as they are performed within the periphery of the plans made.
- Goal oriented: It focuses on defining the goals of the organisation, identifying alternative courses of action and deciding the appropriate action plan, which is to be undertaken for reaching the goals.
- Pervasive: It is pervasive in the sense that it is present in all the segments and is required at all the levels of the organisation. Although the scope of planning varies at different levels and departments.
- Continuous Process: Plans are made for a specific term, say for a month, quarter, year and so on. Once that period is over, new plans are drawn, considering the organisation’s present and future requirements and conditions. Therefore, it is an ongoing process, as the plans are framed, executed and followed by another plan.
- Intellectual Process: It is a mental exercise at it involves the application of mind, to think, forecast, imagine intelligently and innovate etc.
- Futuristic: In the process of planning we take a sneak peek of the future. It encompasses looking into the future, to analyse and predict it so that the organisation can face future challenges effectively.
- Decision making: Decisions are made regarding the choice of alternative courses of action that can be undertaken to reach the goal. The alternative chosen should be best among all, with the least number of the negative and highest number of positive outcomes.
Planning is concerned with setting objectives, targets, and formulating plan to accomplish them. The activity helps managers analyse the present condition to identify the ways of attaining the desired position in future. It is both, the need of the organisation and the responsibility of managers.
Importance of Planning
- It helps managers to improve future performance, by establishing objectives and selecting a course of action, for the benefit of the organisation.
- It minimises risk and uncertainty, by looking ahead into the future.
- It facilitates the coordination of activities. Thus, reduces overlapping among activities and eliminates unproductive work.
- It states in advance, what should be done in future, so it provides direction for action.
- It uncovers and identifies future opportunities and threats.
- It sets out standards for controlling. It compares actual performance with the standard performance and efforts are made to correct the same.
Planning is present in all types of organisations, households, sectors, economies, etc. We need to plan because the future is highly uncertain and no one can predict the future with 100% accuracy, as the conditions can change anytime. Hence, planning is the basic requirement of any organization for the survival, growth and success.
Steps involved in Planning
By planning process, an organisation not only gets the insights of the future, but it also helps the organisation to shape its future. Effective planning involves simplicity of the plan, i.e. the plan should be clearly stated and easy to understand because if the plan is too much complicated it will create chaos among the members of the organisation. Further, the plan should fulfil all the requirements of the organisation.
Triza Naliaka says
Wow great it helped me in my unit studies
Sahil power lifter Sujjon says
Talha gondla says
Very informative and simple language for understanding this very easily Good 👍👍
It’s very helpfull for my semester exam
FASASI,MUTIU ABIOLA KEHINDE says
This is highly impressive as it gives detailed clues on the subject matter- Planning. Indeed, it is educative and informative
ismail bin latif says
Wow, I love this,well detailed
Really a simple but effective narration on planning which even commom men can follow.
Riya yadav says
Can you please add scopes of planning too.
Language is simple and clear
very clear language all are understandable . Nice post sir it help me for my semester exam .
George Emetuche says
Great job on Planning! It is simple, yet detailed!
It is nice continuous by this ways
Tossyn temi says
Really helpful. God bless you Ma’am.
Surbhi S says
Thank you so much all the readers, for constantly appreciating the article, it means a lot to us, Keep reading. 🙂
Rahul Bansal says
very informative, and to the point
Nice work Ma’am, very educative and well narrated… It will really help me in my exam tomorrow
Abdujebar Mohammed says
Thank you so much very helpful article
Kingsman Acquah Aidoo says
It was great to read
Very nicely done. Your show schedule gave me the info on some shows I was wondering about.
Abundant Grace says
This is insightful. Thank you.
Ankit Kumar Singh says
It cleared all my doubts. 😊😊😊😊😊
wonderful one. Thanks Sir
Good job done, very informative.
Sneha jaiswal says
SANIA SAEED says
mansoor wahab says
very well excellent
Akinbi Oluwaseun Esther says
This is very straightforward !
Baxhir omar says
Great Article, how do I cite it, what date was it published and who is the author? Can you please assist me with this information. Thank you.
Surbhi S says
The article was written by Surbhi S. on December 3, 2016
I am very grateful ,thanks
Ayo Oladipo says
Very interesting and educative
It is a very important article. But, plz give me the reference for this article.
David Onyatta says
I’m very grateful. Thanks.
Abhishek Kumar saxena says
Ortese Msughter says
You have done a wonderful by providing this information.
K. S. Afzal Ahmed says
I found it which I was looking for. Very informative, briefed and illustrative.
Thanks to the Author. Keep doing also on other projects. Good by.
Reridis Paulinus says
Interesting and informative
Thank you very much. God bless 👏
buba juwara says
very simple to understand keep the good work i am deeply touch
Elijah Awune says
Nice research done
Very helpful. Thank you
please advise who wrote the article and when it was published. this may help on my research. hope somebody can help me
Surbhi S says
It was created on Dec 3, 2016 by Surbhi S.
Full of information
Hani Ibrahim says
Perfect, it is very useful thanks guys 🥰
Comr simon israel says
Comr simon israel says
So perfect on planning
Mumaraki Nanyama says
Jyoti badiger says
Super, very helpful thank you so much🥰
Faiz Rahman Ghafari says
Simple and good explanation. Thank you.
Clear and straight to the point…easy to understand
Thanks a lot, I believe it will be of great help in my exam
Simple and clear,easy to understand
Thanks so much,I believe it’ll be of great help in my end of semester exam
Be blessed for your help
Asaku Emma says
Thanks so so much for the work
it is very easy to understand…
Janaka Fonseka says
very helpful. thanks for sharing this valued information
Daniel happiness says
Thank you sir is really helpful
martha Situmbeko says
Thank you so much for the information
Thanks a bunch, easy to understand and very informative.
Wow! it helped me formulate class materials, good.
Rachel Pronsloo says
I would like to use some of the information in this article. Can I get the writer’s name, etc., to include as a reference source?
Surbhi S says
The author’s name is Surbhi S.
Wow clearly stated and easy to understand. Thank you.